School Support Network
Join us and connect with others!
The School Culture and Climate Initiative has always been grounded in the belief that when communities come together and people work collaboratively, great things can be achieved; what may have seemed impossible, becomes possible. Changing school climate is no easy task but it can be done with the right resources and when we surround ourselves with other professionals who are committed to achieving the same vision and goals. The School Support Network (SSN) was created for this very reason – to bring changemakers together to learn and grow and become champions for change in their school communities.
SSN meetings are currently being held in the following NJ counties: Bergen, Morris, Somerset, Sussex and Warren. If you are interested in bringing SSN meetings to your county, please contact Liz Warner.
Named a “Promising Practice” by character.org, the SSN provides:
- An opportunity for schools to learn from each other and build relationships with other schools
- The chance to participate in professional development workshops and symposiums on school climate and social-emotional learning (SEL)
- Spotlight schools and table-talks that feature best practices and innovative ideas
- A way to keep abreast of developments and resources available within the state to support SEL and culture and climate work
Who Should Attend
- Community partners working on behalf of schools and children in grades K-12
- Board of Education members
- PTO/PTA members
Participants will receive a certificate of attendance indicating the number of continuing education contact hours.
Topics Previously Explored at SSN Meetings
- Student Anxiety and Stress
- Creating Safe and Affirming Schools for LGBTQ Youth
- Data-Driven Decision Making and Planning for School Climate Improvement
- Fostering Family Engagement and Support
- Handling Difficult Conversations: Strategies to Build a Community of Respect
- Integrating Social Emotional Learning into the Classroom
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Mindfulness Practices
- Service Learning
- The Impact of Trauma in Schools
- Promoting Positive Behavior in the Classroom
- Exploring Roles and Styles of Leadership
- Practical Upstander Skills for Skills for Students and Staff Who Witness Bullying Behavior